I thought I had a pretty good grasp of the Book of Revelation. But when I took on a special project to study Revelation 12 and see if there was evidence of Historicism, I discovered some amazing things that have given me Continue reading
Category Archives: Preaching
GOD HATES GAYS AND OTHER FAMILY GUY MTHS
Sometime ago a friend of mine sent me a clip from the comic T.V. series “Family Guy” where Peter the man of the house gets injected with the “gay gene.” To the amazement of his family and friends, his mannerisms, clothing styles and of course sexual orientation changed almost instantly. Eventually though his family can’t take it anymore and want their “straight” dad back. So his son and dog drug him and take him to “Straight Camp.” While there Peter learns from his Christian coach that “Jesus hates many people but none more than homosexuals.”
What is most disturbing about this quote, even though it comes from a comedy show, is that many actually believe it. But in Leviticus 18:22 the Bible says Continue reading
“Can you believe in Jesus and in astrology? The answer is a resounding yes, according to a study that shows Americans’ beliefs to be more complex than might be expected…
For example, 25 percent of about 4,000 U.S. adults surveyed believe in reincarnation, the rebirth of the soul in another body. Among Christians, the number drops only slightly, to 22 percent.” Survey finds complexity in U.S. religious beliefs, Washington Post, Thursday, December 10, 2009.
For over a hundred years Seventh-day Adventists have been preaching (from Revelation 13 & 16) Continue reading
- Bible Prophecy Truth website- Amazing resources at your fingertips from from Amazing Facts.
- Ellen White Answers- Provides good research to answer attacks on Ellen White and her writings. Maintained by Professor Jud Lake from Southern Adventist University.
- Dwight Nelson Sermon Series on The Temple- (Aug-Dec 09). Includes hot topics such as Creation/Evolution, Homosexuality, Nostradamus, etc.
- The Bible and Evolution article- Outstanding, simplified evidence and reasoning believers can share with skeptics.
- Creation Sabbath Resources- Great stuff, even after the fact!
- The Liberty Blog- Great up-to-date analysis of Continue reading
- Defending Adventist Fundamental Beliefs www.SDAforme.com (or sda4me.com). Various articles and discussions with Dale Ratzlaff, Desmond Ford and other on topics such as the Sabbath, Ellen White, Pre-Advent Judgment, the Gospel, the Law and Final Events. Maintained by Martin Weber, Communications Director for the Mid-America Union.
- Creation, Faith & Science. Seventh-day Adventist World Church President Jan Paulsen’s recent statement on faith, science and creation.
- Which Old Testament laws have universal application and which were for the Children of Israel? Jacques Doukhan shares a Bible study on this important topic in a 2006 issue of Shabbat Shaloam titled “The Torah: The Law of God”
- Clergy Sexual Abuse. Hope of Survivors Ministry (www.thehopeofsurvivors.com) helps victims of pastoral sexual abuse. This video clip describes the need for this ministry.
- When God disciplines us. When God chisels the dead weight out of our lives it can be very painful. In one of their most requested skits, Tommy and Eddie (“The Skit Guys” at www.theskitguys.com) give a very creative look at a typical believer having to go through the process of discipline. Click to watch video clip.
- Preach better sermons. www.BetterSermons.org provides Adventist tools for better preaching such as sermon outlines, videos, etc.
- Plusline Resources. If you haven’t checked out www.plusline.org recently you’ll be amazed at how you can find almost any North American Division event, resource, article or piece of information there.
“Cool and collected, Kavya Shivashankar wrote out every word on her palm and always ended with a smile. The 13-year-old Kansas girl saved the biggest smile for last, when she rattled off the letters to “Laodicean” to become the nation’s spelling champion… After spelling the winning word, which means lukewarm or indifferent in religion or politics, Kavya got huge hugs from her father, mother and little sister.” “Kansas girl rides ‘Laodicean’ to National Spelling Bee victory” USA Today May 28, 2009.
How else do you spell “Laodicean”? See Revelation 3:14-22. For well over 100 years Seventh-day Adventists have had inspired counsel that tells us “Laodicean” means–
- To have great Biblical light and many opportunities yet not appreciate them. (Review & Herald, March 11, 1902)
- To be an “idler” in the Lord’s vineyard. (Manuscript 26, 1905)
- To think one has all the truth, who takes pride in their knowledge of the Word of God, while its sanctifying power has not been felt in their lives.(Review & Herald July 23, 1889)
- All who profess to keep the law of God, and yet are not doers of it. We are not to be selfish in anything. (Review & Herald Oct. 17, 1899).
- Those whose religious experience is insipid, who do not bear decided witness in favor of the truth (Letter 98, 1901).
- The ardor of the first love has lapsed into a selfish egotism. Continue reading
There are joy stealers lurking everywhere!
- On Sabbath morning after church. It’s been a wonderful Sabbath morning. You have preached one of the best sermons of your entire life. You are greeting people at the door of the church afterward. “Pastor, that really blessed me” says one member. “I wish I had heard that ten years ago,” adds another. A visitor chimes in “This is the kind of preaching I would like to hear every week!” A hundred people are affirming. And then it happens. The last person in line stops, looks you in the eye, draws back a little, wrinkles his nose and says “Who taught you how to preach?” This guy seems to think it is his religious duty to keep you humble.
And what are you tempted to think about all Sabbath afternoon?
- On the Church Board. You have worked hard Continue reading
More stories from www.NPUCMissions.wordpress.com. Read about–
- A special project for a paralyzed pastor’s wife
- India & Russia Mission Trips
- The Single Greatest Lesson Learned by each of the Dominican Republic Mission Trip 2009 participants
- Teen preachers and their experiences in the Dominican Republic
In January at the NAD Ministries Convention in Myrtle Beach, SC, there were a number of outstanding presentations. Here are two outstanding presentations that are worth watching.
Looking for a great new 16 part reaping series? “Living With Hope” is now available FREE online (and later on the NAD Pastors DVD #16) at www.LivingWithHopeSeminar.com. This 16-part Bible seminar sharing fundamental Seventh-day Adventist beliefs is a complete evangelistic toolkit including:
- Sermon manuscripts & outlines
- Editable sermon slides
- Participant handouts
- Marketing materials
- Event manual
- Evangelism training handbook
The topics covered are
- The Bible
- The Great Controversy
- The Second Coming Continue reading
Read some of the great stories from the most recent NPUC mission trip.
- Those Boys are Probably Trouble
- Can God Turn My Discouragement Around?
- Best Experience of My Life!
- Final Sabbath Panorama Pictures- by Greg Howell
- The Mission Keeps on Going
- Pentecost and More- by Alvaro Sausa
- Everybody Wins on a Mission Trip- by Robert Sundin
- Family Mission Blessings and Challenges- by The Lifshay Family
- Follow His Instruction and Pray
- A Blessing for our Family by Karen Lifshay
- Visits to Town & Home- by Karen Lifshay
- Ramon Canals begins City-wide Meetings in La Romana, Domincan Republic- By Todd Gessele
- Baptisms & Blessings- by Betty Carolyn Crawford
- Challenges & Blessings- by Karen Lifshay
“Keep it short. Keep it simple. Keep it sweet.”
– Ramon Canals, NPUC VP for Hispanic Ministries & Associate Ministerial, teaching new preachers how to preach evangelistic (or any!) sermons. Ramon preaches seven to nine one-week evangelistic series every year, with wonderful results. In October 2009 he will be the featured speaker for the North American Division Spanish Satellite Reaping Series. He Knows What He’s Talking About (H.K.W.H.T.A.)
- Sermon Seed Thoughts–
- Ellen White Web Resources
- Miscellaneous Resources
- Adventist Urban Congress, Dallas, TX, Aug 30-Sept 2, 2009
- NAD Vervent- “A catalyst for growing healthy congregations”
- SonScreen Film Festival- ”created by the North American Division (NAD) of Seventh-day Adventists to nurture Christian filmmakers in their craft, career development, and spiritual lives”
- World Digital Library- “makes available on the Internet, free of charge and in multilingual format, significant primary materials from countries and cultures around the world.”
- 666 Secret Revealed Video Clip (4 minutes), by Doug Batchelor
- Amazing Facts YouTube Channel
- DigSight Archeology Newsletter, Winter 2009 issue (Southern Adventist University)
- Bible Study Resources on the web, links to many of the best
- Andrews University Press- “Now with some 90 titles in print, the Press publishes and distributes books, journals, papers and films that make a scholarly and/or professional contribution to their respective fields and are in harmony with the mission of Andrews University”
(The first part of this two-part article is found at- “Why Not Try This? …Recognize How God Saves Those Without Scriptures.)
Since God provides so many ways for the world to know about Him and be saved without Bible Scriptures, why is it necessary to send missionaries? Why is it necessary for any believers to share their faith anywhere? Can’t God simply use these influences we have just studied to take the gospel to all the world in His own way and time?
Let’s look at another drowning analogy. Imagine that you are on an outing to the beach with a group from your local Seventh-day Adventist Church. You are enjoying the sun and the fun when you are interrupted by screams coming from the surf. Someone you recognize from your place of work has gone out too far and is in serious trouble. As you size up the dynamics of the situation you can choose what line of thought you want to follow. You can say to yourself, “I know that person and I believe if they died today they would be saved in heaven when Jesus returns. God knows they have had an adequate opportunity to accept Him. Besides, it’s dangerous out there in the ocean undercurrents. If someone else really wants to go help, let them go. I’m not dressed to go out into the water anyway. And there are much better swimmers here than I am. Besides, Continue reading
“Adventist pastors no longer believe in the advent (return of Jesus the second time); they believe in retirement.”
– George Knight, Retired Professor of Church History at the Andrews University Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary. In his characteristic “wake-up call” shock therapy, George told a group of Seventh-day Adventist pastors that they are spending far more time thinking and planning for retirement than for the second coming of Jesus. Much of this is because he believes many pastors have lost an Adventist understanding of the prophecies of Daniel and Revelation, and as a result, have also lost a sense of urgency to take the Adventist message to all the world in their generation. He discusses these issues in his most recent book, which he says is his most important- The Apocalyptic Vision and the Neutering of Adventism. He Knows What He’s Talking About (H.K.W.H.T.A.)